Home » Archive by category "General"

Starting the rebuild

Hi guys, Riley here, back again!
Forgive me for missing a day but I got tied up in the late afternoon at the house. We discussed demolition on my last entry. While demolition continued throughout the remainder of our project, the most of them all occurred in the 1st week.  Actually, the day I closed the deal I came to the house and ripped apart the kitchen.  This room would eventually become the master bathroom.  As I said before, 5 dumpsters later later we were ready for some building instead of removing. The 1st building project to evolve was to first frame new walls in a wide open space that had originally been 5 different rooms. In this space, there was an office, a powder room, 2 hallways, and a den. Due to structural problems, support beams needed to be temporarily placed so that we could finish demolition.  This was done, the remaining walls were removed and building began.  We framed out a new kitchen, a powder room, a closet and a new laundry room in the old space. In order for this to happen and look decent, the front door had to be moved.  We shifted approximately 3 feet to the right in order to accommodate the double sided closets. This was quite a pain but we had a lot of help.  Our contractors were great, and worked tirelessly to give us a well-built structure.  There was a bay window on the back of the house which had to be removed. This was temporarily covered with tarp.  It is a good thing that the weather was starting to become nice as the heat was off. We worked and worked and worked to get the kitchen area to where we wanted it to be…Wait!  Before I go any further, I remembered a huge step in this remodel process- the floor! This huge area that I am speaking of had 3 different types of flooring.  One was a nice flag stone, 1 was concrete, and 1 was wood.  All of these types of flooring had to be leveled out. Once level, our plumber placed in-floor heating pipes throughout the area as we wanted radiated flooring. We put in skylights and had the help of our good friend bob at scrantonroofingpros.com help us cut openings, re flash and re shingle the roof. He was very good to us. I need to put some pictures in to show all the work. Once the floor was paved, the skylights were put In and everything was framed, it was time for drywall…. Oh what fun that was! can you say “dust everywhere”… all the windows were opened while spackle and sanding took place. Painting is another story. Maybe I’ll make a different post for that!
Stay tuned,
Ry.

demolition man

Hey guys! Ry here, back with the latest installment of the house renovation. This time we will be talking about the best part of my home project thus far – DEMOLITION! lets face it, theres nothing better than coming home after a long, boring day, and smashing stuff! Its a tremendous stress reliever- and actually was therapeutic for me. Now, there was a ton of demolition to do, mostly because we were gutting the house from top to bottom, first floor, second floor and basement. We had help from a fantastic architect who basically re-mapped the entire structure, moving the kitchen, bathrooms and adding closets and a master bedroom on the first floor. in addition to all of the walls we were knocking down, we also had to destroy a fireplace and move a wood stove! That thing was heavy. when it came down to it, the house pretty much looked like the one below…

influence

Crazy, right? Ok so it wasn’t exactly THAT dramatic but, still. We spent over a week demolishing walls and knocking down beams. So, what happened next? we went over budget of course… Well not totally over budget. See, our budget was broken down into “draws” so they say. One part of the first draw was demolition and money for a dumpster rental. We actually allotted for 2 full size roll of dumpsters… this was a joke, as we are STILL after a year, renting dumpsters. I’ll tell you one thing, my buddy pete at www.dumpsternepa.com really reaped the benefits of my home renovation. I am pretty sure we are on dumpster number 6, and counting. He did happen to cut the price down for me and let me keep the containers for longer, which was nice. But they aren’t Cheap! These things not only cost money to rent, but if you are “overweight” they charge per ton! Needless to say, we had some extra money that we had to dish out for when we demo-ed the brick fireplace. All in all, demo week went well. I took off of work that week and had a ton of help from my dad and friends. This was the start of the fun! busting everything down to a blank slate. Now, time to rebuild…

Thanks for reading. I look forward to writing more later!!

Ry.