Home » General » Starting the rebuild

Starting the rebuild

Hi guys, Riley here, back again!
Forgive me for missing a day but I got tied up in the late afternoon at the house. We discussed demolition on my last entry. While demolition continued throughout the remainder of our project, the most of them all occurred in the 1st week.  Actually, the day I closed the deal I came to the house and ripped apart the kitchen.  This room would eventually become the master bathroom.  As I said before, 5 dumpsters later later we were ready for some building instead of removing. The 1st building project to evolve was to first frame new walls in a wide open space that had originally been 5 different rooms. In this space, there was an office, a powder room, 2 hallways, and a den. Due to structural problems, support beams needed to be temporarily placed so that we could finish demolition.  This was done, the remaining walls were removed and building began.  We framed out a new kitchen, a powder room, a closet and a new laundry room in the old space. In order for this to happen and look decent, the front door had to be moved.  We shifted approximately 3 feet to the right in order to accommodate the double sided closets. This was quite a pain but we had a lot of help.  Our contractors were great, and worked tirelessly to give us a well-built structure.  There was a bay window on the back of the house which had to be removed. This was temporarily covered with tarp.  It is a good thing that the weather was starting to become nice as the heat was off. We worked and worked and worked to get the kitchen area to where we wanted it to be…Wait!  Before I go any further, I remembered a huge step in this remodel process- the floor! This huge area that I am speaking of had 3 different types of flooring.  One was a nice flag stone, 1 was concrete, and 1 was wood.  All of these types of flooring had to be leveled out. Once level, our plumber placed in-floor heating pipes throughout the area as we wanted radiated flooring. We put in skylights and had the help of our good friend bob at scrantonroofingpros.com help us cut openings, re flash and re shingle the roof. He was very good to us. I need to put some pictures in to show all the work. Once the floor was paved, the skylights were put In and everything was framed, it was time for drywall…. Oh what fun that was! can you say “dust everywhere”… all the windows were opened while spackle and sanding took place. Painting is another story. Maybe I’ll make a different post for that!
Stay tuned,
Ry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *